Chocolate & Wine
feat. Robert Kingsbury
Thursday, October 27, 2016 / 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
This Thursday local chocolatier Robert Kingsbury, of Kingsbury Chocolates & Confections, will be in the shop showcasing some of his delicious chocolates with wine pairings. Wine and chocolate are two great things that go great together, so stop and try some! This tasting is free.
1) N.V. Horton Vineyards XOCO (Virginia / Orange County) 500ml $17.99 – All wine snobs just take a step back, realize it's not a serious wine, but that it's seriously pretty darn delicious. It's like licking a Raspberry Tootsie Roll Pop! 88% Touriga Nacional, 8% Syrah, 4% Norton with a very small percentage of dark chocolate essence.
2) Yalumba Muscat Museum Reserve (Australia / Barossa / Rutherglen) 375ml $22.99 – 98 points Parker. Exotic, full-bodied, rich, and sweet. It spent 7 years in wood, and was bottled from a solera system. This amber-hued, rich, unctuously-textured effort boasts luscious aromas and flavors of marmalade, figs, chocolate, melted caramel, toffee, and prunes. Once again, Australia proves this country is hard to beat when it comes to their fortified after-dinner wines, which still sell for a song.
3) 2009 Dow Porto Late Bottled Vintage (Portugal / Douro / Porto) 375ml $17.99 – Wonderfully fresh, sweet and charming on opening, this becomes a surprisingly focused LBV, even though it is easy to drink and does well as a pop 'n' pour. It has rather nice, underlying structure. The tannins are ripe, but there are some, and it has the grip and concentration of flavors on the finish to be interesting as well as tasty. It was quite enticing on Day 4. On Day 9, it still drank rather well, showing good balance and structure.
1) Milk Chocolate with Hazelnut Toffee – Pure Belgian 33% milk chocolate with almond toffee bits and chopped roasted hazelnuts.
2) Dark Chocolate with Candied Bacon – Pure Belgian 60% dark chocolate with a molé spice blend, candied bacon, almonds,and cacao nibs.
3) Dark Chocolate with Red Berries – Pure Belgian 60% dark chocolate with dried strawberries and raspberries.
4) Chipotle 5-Spice Dark Chocolate – Pure Belgian 60% dark chocolate with finely ground chipotle peppers and an Asian spice blend.